Monday, November 17, 2008

CCTV Car Troubles

Below is a copy of a letter received by the Havering Residents Association, copied below for information, it make interesting reading.

Dear sir’s I am writing to you as a paid up member of the Residents Association. I wanted to let tell you about an incident that happened yesterday (15.11.08) in Front Lane Car Park concerning one of the Borough's Smart Cars.

I pulled into the car park at 9.55 (I know this because when I paid my 20p the parking ticket is timed at 9.57). Stopped in the middle was the white coloured Smart Car, the driver's face looking quite concerned. He reversed so that I could park and then I noticed that he did not have the periscope on top of the car.

As I parked in my bay, I could see the periscope on the ground by the entrance to the 2nd part of the car park. The Smart car driver got out of his car, made a mobile phone call and ran back to the periscope. He picked it up and put into the car and drove off.

What had happened was that he had driven in with his periscope down and proceeded to take pictures of cars in the car park but forgot to lower the periscope when leaving so that it hit the "crossbar" immediately to the left of the recycling bins and snapped off.

I am telling you about for this two reasons.

Firstly, it was quite amusing to see the look on the driver's face as he was obviously embarrassed (not very Christian - I know!). Secondly, I believe that the cost of kitting out these cars is very high and I would like to know who foots the bill for this damage – I certainly would not want my council tax to pay for the error of this driver.

I assume that he was paid for a days work but could not carry it out due to his equipment not working. Personally, I am against these cars touring the borough and taking pictures and believe that having a team of conventional traffic wardens was sufficient.

These Smart cars have become a "cash cow" and antagonise a lot of residents. I understand that there are selfish peole who park where they shouldn't but these CCTV equipped cars have taken it too far. Sorry for the rant - I feel much better now.

Best wishes.

Mr SG
Cranham

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

By the way did you know that these Smart cars are not cheap at all?