Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing Day Parking Woes

I’m not normally one for the sales, I prefer to shop online, less people about, but had to go into Romford today as spotted a bargain (online) and had to get it from the shop as soon as possible before they all went, as it was, I got the last one.

Being as Boxing Day is a Bank Holiday I did wonder if you would need to purchase a ticket, my experiences usually tell me, when you pop into a shop for 3 minutes, you will always get caught.

Maybe I still had to much festive spirit in me, but I was amazed to see that you still needed to purchase a ticket to park your car. I know it was a Bank Holiday, but it was Boxing Day after all and with Lakeside just a 15 minute drive away, surely it would be good for business to offer free parking for the sales.

However, that is not the worst of it, not only were the charges being implemented, they were actually being enforced. Sadly rather vigorously in my view, as I parked and made the short walk to the shops, I saw at least six tickets on cars in just two rows.

On speaking to a private traffic warden, I asked was they really enforcing today, he looked at me rather sheepishly and said yes, on further questioning, he admitted that he had issued over 12 tickets and that he was one of four working that day, believe it or not, it was only 11.00 !

Is it any wonder this country is in a recession when on Boxing Day, the car park in the Brewery Shopping Centre, still insisted on charging for car parking and issuing tickets, they should be trying to encourage shoppers into Romford to help the Boroughs economy.

Cllr Andy Mann

No comments: