Wednesday, June 04, 2008

500 Bus Update in H-A-B Village

Below is a copy of a letter I have written to the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson in relation to the 500 bus being scrapped and the situation that Havering Village will find itself in when the service ends next month.


Boris Johnson
Mayor of London
City Hall
The Queens Walk
London
SE1 2AA

Dear Mayor Johnson

Re: Bus Service in Havering-Atte-Bower

Thank you for your letter of the 20th May 2008, following your successful election as the new Mayor of London, may I take this opportunity to wish you all the very best for the next four years and beyond.

I would very much like to take you up on your offer of working together, whatever political affiliation we are from; to that end a very urgent and pressing matter has arisen in my ward of “Havering Park” at the very northern tip of the London Borough of Havering, to which many residents need your help in resolving.

As you may recall, Assembly Member, Roger Evans recently raised the issue with you at your first Mayors Question time; concerning the situation that has arisen with the withdrawal of the 500 bus, by Arriva Buses Ltd, which now leaves the whole village of Havering-Atte-Bower without a bus service from next month.

For many years, myself, the Member of Parliament for Romford and other organisations such as St Francis Hospice and Essex Wildlife Trust have tried to secure a better bus service; one option was to re run the 499 service to part of the village when it was first introduced by TfL in 2001 / 2002. The second option was to look at the possibility of changing the 103 and 175; both over the years (many years, I might add) used to run up to the village. However, TfL and the previous Mayor would never investigate this any further, than to say it was not feasible.

Havering transport officers have informed me that a meeting is hoping to take place with yourself and TfL shortly to discuss the issues with local politicians, to that end, so that we are truly working for the residents of Havering and the City of London as a whole cross party, I would very much like to meet you to discuss the issues at the same time.

I know you have a busy schedule, however it may also be of benefit if you could visit Havering-Atte-Bower, it is often the forgotten part of London, as once you are there, it is very easy to forget you are still in Greater London and not in fact in the middle of the Essex countryside. I know you spent some time in Romford during your election campaign, something that the previous Mayor never did, I think he only ever visited the Borough of Havering twice in eight years, which is terrible.

I am sure TfL officers will have all the previous correspondence and details of this situation, however I can supply copious amounts of paperwork on this issue if required.

I very much look forward to meeting you to discus the issue further and to welcome you to Havering-Atte-Bower, as I am sure would Roger Evans and Andrew Rosindell.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me, either via the Members Room at the Town Hall or on Romford 432034. You can also contact me via my e-mail address: andrew.mann@havering.gov.uk

With every best wish

Yours sincerely,


COUNCILLOR ANDREW MANN
Shadow Cabinet Member for StreetCare & the Environment
& Havering Park Residents Association Ward Councillor

No comments: